The Book Lovers’ Program for Schools (BLPS) started in 2009. In the last decade, 200+ schools and activity centres have used our programme to get their children to love to read. We have done 500+ workshops for teachers and impacted the lives of over 2 lac children. We are India’s largest independent reading programme.
In our tenth year, we have decided to tell you all our secrets. And to enable you to build your own reading program. You can download the ebook that spills all by clicking here.
If you have already read the ebook, then here are additional resources you can refer to. Please use the comments section below to join the discussion.
Why is Reading Important
1. Top 5 Reasons to Read poster for your classroom
Language, Stories, and Storybooks
1. Nicaraguan Sign Language – the language that kids developed on their own
2. Who is Noam Chomsky?
3. A good book to read: The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker
4. The Million Word Gap between children who read and those who don’t
What Exactly is a Reading Programme?
1. Silent Spring by Rachel Carson – the book that broke the silence on DDT
2. An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore – on climate change
3. Axel Scheffler’s acceptance speech – where he talks about The Room on the Broom
Step 1: Storybook Evaluation Framework
Step 2: Making the Book List
Step 3: Introducing the Books to Your Children
1. BJ Novak does a reading of his book The Book With No Pictures
2. An informative PDF about picture walks
3. Storyteller Craig Jenkins uses his voice to elevate his storytelling.
4. A stick-puppet rendition of Gajapathi Kulapathi.
5. Storyteller Janaki Sabesh interacts withe her audience to keep them involved in the story.